Monday, November 17, 2008

NBA : The Week That Was

While I was watching NBA highlights last week my phone rang. Outside area code ring tone. I checked the calandar and looked at my watch. I won't mention his name (Kareem Johnson) but he called to let me know that Lakers were going undefeated this year. That they were going to shatter the Bulls single season win record, win the championship and "by the way Kobe is better than Jordan" ended the rant. What's more, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was and make bets.

This year, that call came a little earlier than usual. That exact day, the Pistons marched into LA and handed the Lakers their first loss of the season. Mysteriously Kareem could not be reached for comment.

It got me thinking though, are Laker fans feeling a little more confident this year?

It's still really early, but the west doesn't seem to have as much punch to it as usual.
Way too early to call it.

As early as it may be certain players are serving notice already that they are going for broke this year.

Can anyone stop LeBron James? The man fills the stat sheet up like a Thanksgiving Turkey, and his highlights look like clips from a video game.

I didn't think it was possible for him to get bigger and stronger. Then again, I never thought I would see a black president. Im 0 for 2.

The scary thing about LeBron is he's only 24. He hasn't even reached his man strength yet.

And then there's D-Wade. I'll keep this short, because he's my favorite player and I don't want to get too carried away. I don't think there's a more exciting player in the league. I really don't.

Last week Dwight Howard recorded a mammoth triple double with 30 points, 19 rebounds and TEN BLOCKS! Ten BLOCKS!? Really? Ten? That hasn't been seen or done since The Dream shake. Anyone who has seen him play was thinking the same thing...This is not the last time we are going to see this happen.

Another notable performance was that of Anthony Morrow. Never heard of him? Don't worry. No one has. In his first career start for the Golden State Warriors Morrow went buckwild on the Clippers dropping 37 points 11 rebounds while shooting 15-20 from the field and 3-4 from the behind the arc.
There was a collective hush in the crowd as people flipped through their programs trying to figure out who the hell he was. Crazy kid.

Duncan is carrying the Spurs, but for how long? Parker and Ginoboli are out for extended periods things are getting dicey fast. But again it's early.

Oden has been getting better day by day. If Mr. Glass can stay healthy he might be all that he was billed to be .

As I said before, it's really early in the NBA season, but after the first few weeks, can Dallas already be done? Does that team have a chance?

Look out for Utah. They've been ballin sans Derron.

No comments: